When in Germany, do as Germans do! Get medical insurance!
Germany requires all its residents and everlasting residents to be insured within the healthcare system. What this implies is for those who’re an expat in Germany, employed or commencing your research, additionally, you will be required to get medical insurance like the remainder of the residents.
TK (Techniker Krankenkasse) is the most important public medical insurance firm in Germany, and one of the vital widespread selections for expats. With over 10 million policyholders, TK insures a big majority of individuals dwelling in Germany. It gives nice protection, reasonably priced price, and it’s broadly complete. Extra on all the things just under!
1. Can I Get TK Well being Insurance coverage in Germany?
Germany’s healthcare system is split into two sectors, private and non-private. Since a big majority of individuals dwelling in Germany are entitled to public medical insurance, most individuals can get TK insurance coverage in Germany. We all the time suggest TK, particularly to expats, as a result of this can be very useful for non-German audio system. Yow will discover its web site, customer support, and utility in English, for those who’re an English speaker. Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) additionally fulfills all of the medical insurance necessities for a German visa utility, so expats have a tendency to seek out it actually useful.
Can I Get TK Insurance coverage as an Worldwide Pupil in Germany?
Sure you may! Diploma college students in Germany are entitled to public (statutory) medical insurance. Because of this all worldwide college students who’re finding out a level programme can change into TK policyholders. Alternatively, college students who’re in preparatory or language programs, or are over the age of 30, usually are not entitled to public medical insurance suppliers like TK.
2. What Does TK Insurance coverage Cowl?
TK gives its policyholders quite a lot of benefits whereas offering a variety of advantages tailor-made to every individual’s private state of affairs and wishes. TK insurance coverage covers the price of companies like GP (basic practitioner) appointments, fundamental dental care, in-hospital remedy and out-patient remedies, amongst others.
TK insurance coverage covers the next:
- GP Appointments. You possibly can select whichever physician you need to go to, for so long as it’s a licensed public medical insurance physician. The paperwork can be settled between the physician and TK. The corporate additionally helps you make your physician appointments in case you wouldn’t have time or are unable to take action.
- Hospital Therapy. Hospital care is all the time obtainable whenever you’re insured with TK. In case you’ll want to keep within the hospital for longer durations of time, then you may be required to co-pay. The co-payment quantity is €10 per calendar day with a most 28 days per calendar yr.
- Fundamental Dental Care. Fundamental dental examinations are coated by TK insurance coverage twice per yr.
- Drugs and Medical Dressings. Medical prescriptions out of your physician are coated by TK. Nonetheless, co-payment of at the least €5 (at most €10) will apply on the pharmacy.
- Vaccination prices beneficial by the Standing Vaccination Fee (STIKO) can be reimbursed by TK. This contains vaccinations required for personal journeys overseas.
- Screening examinations. Preventative examinations/check-ups are coated by TK insurance coverage.
- Glasses and Lenses. The price of glasses/lenses can be coated by TK when prescribed by a physician, with a hard and fast quantity between 10€ and 113€ per glass.
- Free Household Insurance coverage. When insured with TK, you may as well embrace your loved ones members (speedy dependants) with no further expenses.
- Journey Overseas Insurance coverage. Your TK eHealth card additionally contains an European Well being Insurance coverage Card (EHIC) on the again. You should utilize this whereas travelling overseas and you may be entitled to the identical advantages because the residents of the nation you’re visiting.
three. How A lot Does TK Insurance coverage Price?
The price of TK insurance coverage depends upon your revenue. Those that have a better wage can be required to pay extra for public medical insurance. Mainly, you’re required to make two month-to-month contributions in Germany, the state contribution fee and the extra contribution fee, the quantity of which rely in your month-to-month wage. When you’re confused, we are going to clarify each phrases under.
What Is the State Contribution Fee?
All public medical insurance firms require the identical state contribution fee. At present, the state contribution fee is 14.6% of your revenue and it’s cut up between the worker and employer equally. Because of this each you and your employer will every need to pay 7.three% month-to-month.
What Is the Extra Contribution Fee?
A small proportion is added to the state contribution by public medical insurance firms. This proportion is usually lower than 1%, and TK has one of many lowest further contribution charges. Ranging from 2019, the extra contribution fee of TK is zero.7% and it’s also equally divided between employers and staff, similar to the state contribution fee. Because of this you’ll solely need to pay zero.35% further contribution fee, if you’re insured with TK.
How A lot Does TK Insurance coverage Price for College students in Germany?
College students who’re entitled to public medical insurance, can get TK insurance coverage and pay one of the vital reasonably priced costs. College students will be capable of pay a reduced quantity for healthcare with TK, at solely €105.80 per 30 days (€103.94 per 30 days for college students as much as the age of 22). The charge features a contribution to nursing prices and is said to long-term care.
four. Get TK Well being Insurance coverage?
To get TK medical insurance in Germany, you merely need to fill out an utility kind. This implies you may apply on-line, and you’ll obtain a affirmation inside, at most, 2 working days. You may be required to fill out an utility kind and submit it. Afterwards, you’ll obtain an e-mail confirming your medical insurance with Techniker Krankenkasse (TK). Additionally, you will be required to submit a passport photograph for the insurance coverage card, which you are able to do on-line or by submit. If you get to Germany (for those who’re an expat), replace your tackle and you’ll obtain your insurance coverage card by postal mail.
Identical to all the things else with TK, the applying course of is complete and obtainable in English for all those that don’t converse German.
5. Why Ought to I Select TK Well being Insurance coverage?
Aside from being one of many largest public medical insurance firms, TK additionally gives essentially the most reasonably priced costs on the market. However these usually are not the one properties that make TK a best choice. This medical insurance firm gives its policyholders quite a few different advantages, and we are going to point out them under.
You Will Obtain Protection Overseas
Alongside together with your TK well being card, additionally, you will obtain the European Well being Insurance coverage Card (EHIC). You should utilize your EHIC for those who’re touring overseas exterior of Germany, that means in member states of the EU (together with Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland). If you’re overseas, you merely have to indicate your EHIC to the general public well being hospitals and you’ll obtain the identical remedy as insured folks in that nation do.
TK additionally has particular contracts with hospitals in numerous European international locations. You’re going to get the required medical help for those who merely present your TK eHealth card. It additionally has particular agreements with non-European international locations as nicely, to make sure correct medical care in every single place.
You Can Insure Household Members for Free
If you’re a TK member, you may insure your loved ones members with no further cost. Extra particularly, you may insure your family members if they’re your:
- Partner or civil companion.
- Youngsters (organic or adopted) if:
- They’re below 18 years of age.
- They don’t seem to be employed but (as much as 23 years previous)
- Stepchildren and grandchildren who’re primarily supported by you because the insured member.
- Foster kids (for those who’re not employed as their caretaker).
Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) Is Largely Expat-Pleasant
When you’re an expat, you’ll love TK! Ranging from the truth that it fulfills all of the visa utility necessities, to offering help companies in numerous languages, together with English, however not solely. Communication is all the time a bonus, particularly in relation to medical insurance. Its web sites are easy, informative, and up to date usually.
It Has a Excessive Buyer Satisfaction Fee
The customer support at TK is accessible across the clock. Not solely is is accessible always, however it additionally gives help in English for non-German audio system. They’ve a customer-oriented method, which follows instances from the start up till completion. In accordance with surveys performed by the corporate, 96.four% of TK prospects have been total happy with the companies supplied by TK.
Gives Assist in Making Physician Appointments
After all, you will have the chance to make appointments immediately together with your physician, regardless of the case could also be. Nonetheless, if for some purpose that’s not attainable, then the corporate could make your appointment for you thru TK-AppointmentService. This service is freed from cost for TK insurees.
In case you’ll want to make your appointments rapidly, then you’re suggested to go on to your physician. The physician have to be somebody who’s permitted to deal with sufferers coated by public (statutory) medical insurance.
TK Gives a Bonus Program for Its Policyholders
The TK Bonus Program gives quite a lot of advantages for its individuals. This bonus program entails of shoppers “gathering” factors, that are awarded primarily based on the conduct of the person. Extra particularly, prospects get to earn factors after they attend dental check-ups, sporting occasions, or programs (health-related) acknowledged by TK. For instance, you’ll earn 200 factors everytime you attend dental check-ups and hold your gums wholesome, or for those who run a marathon. The gathered factors will then be rewarded within the type of money.
This program permits prospects to remain wholesome, have enjoyable gathering factors, and earn alongside the way in which.
The TK App Helps You Save Time (And Paper)
You possibly can take care of your medical insurance associated considerations utilizing the great TK App in your smartphone. By this app you may obtain your insurance coverage certificates in your college inside just a few seconds, use the TK bonus program of amassed factors digitally, obtain the membership certificates for the employer, reorder the insurance coverage card, ship messages to technicians, and plenty of different useful choices.